Wednesday, July 2, 2008

One man's trash....

     The other day I discovered a trove of treasures a mere ten minutes from our home. I'm furious to think that it has been sitting there the past eight months undiscovered by me! It is an entire district of antiques - books, vintage clothing, furniture, jewelry, paintings, glass ware, Elvis posters, you name it! There are probably five to seven different shops filled to the brim with the aforementioned delectable treasures! I was racing nap time as I flew through a couple of shops so I will have to go back (and then go back again), but even on this quick trip I managed to pick up several books. One of the books is the original Pinnoccio published in 1914... for three bucks!  Regardless of how charming you think the Disney version is, I can only imagine that it has nothing on the book! Back to the antique district, I had so much fun. The only severe disappointment was when I found a pair of canary yellow vintage heels that would have been mine for seven dollars had they not been three sizes too large. Oh well, if they had fit I would have then had to hunt down the perfect outfit and then I can only imagine that it would have needed the perfect earrings and now I can hear the wise adage in my head, "If you give a mouse a cookie....."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Umm...seeing as how you're three sizes smaller than me in clothes I assume it extends to shoes so they'll fit me? Yeah, if they're 8.5 send them my way please. Then I'll have to get new dress, earrings, ahhh...no seriously, yellow is my color this summer.

Trespasser said...

My sister Katie had a severe love affair with the original Pinnoccio. I think it was to her what Peter Pan was to me. Wonderful stories that aren't afraid to show the more petty side of childhood. Kids aren't saints, and to only tell tales that show them as such makes for flat story-telling. Congrats on a great find!