Friday, June 27, 2008

The Lake

MMMmmmmmmm, here I sit, still basking in the glow of a perfectly beautiful and blessed holiday (as the British would say). At 1:30 am Tuesday morning we pulled back into our driveway, newly returned from a most fabulous excursion to Northern Michigan. Jon's extended family have a cottage on a beautiful lake there and each summer everyone who can spends as much of the two week stay as they are able. It is filled with important traditions and delightful memories. The setting itself is a testimony to God's creative artistry, the water is a beautiful bright teal, there are sand dunes and hills surrounding our lake where just on the other side is lake Michigan. The sunsets are breathtaking and addictive, they warm you to your very soul. 

This summer was Sonora's first trip to the lake and it was so much fun taking in all her firsts. Her first time meeting her great aunts, uncles, cousins, and the cottage. Her first dried cherries, smoked fish, and faccacia bread.  Her first boat ride, her first time skinny dipping, her first trek up mountainous sand dunes, her first petoskey hunt..... she absolutely loved it all and we loved her loving it!

I could write pages and pages about this beloved cottage and lake and the people who make them so wonderful, but I believe that instead I will trust to the pictures to speak the thousands of words that I would attempt but could still not capture the allure..... Please check out the pictures on our website under Sonora's link: www.jlshaffer.net

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The photos were wonderful. You did a great job of capturing Gods beauty. The teal lake... the sunsets! There was one sunset photo that just made me say WOW. Looks like you had a great time.

Hilary said...

So awesome! The pictures did a great job of portraying beauty and fun!!

Sarah said...

Oh! I was hoping you'd blog about the trip. I was so disappointed to miss it this year but glad you all three got to go!